Lower Interchange Rates through Information and Tech
Visa and MasterCard have created specific issued card types that help corporations monitor and track spending by collecting a set of additional line-item details. These card types are categorized and defined as Level 3 cards.
Level 3 cards allow a business to stay on top of their spending, ensuring that their funds are best utilized to further operations.
If processed correctly, Level 3 interchange can be 1.00% lower than their standard counterparts!
However, in order to gain access to beneficial Level 3 rates, a merchant is required to input a fair amount of information on each transaction. In addition, only certain gateways can accommodate for Level 3 data.
If a Level 3 capable gateway or software is not used, these card types come with some of the highest interchange fees in the industry ranging from 2.5% - 3.5%.
Case Study: Building Materials Industry
- The building materials distribution industry is comprised mostly of Business-to-Business customer relationships.
- According to Visa and MasterCard data a large percentage of these distribution customers pay with Purchasing Cards, Corporate Cards, and Business Cards.
- These card types make up what the Credit Card industry refers to as Level 3 transactions.
These card types come with some of the highest interchange fees in the industry, ranging from:
2.5% - 3.5%
There are several software and hardware products on the market you can purchase to help reduce these higher interchange rates. These products do come with a cost, typically additional and monthly fees, and additional data entry by yourself.
The extra data entry, up to 15 required data fields with every transaction, makes the Level 3 cost reduction cumbersome to achieve.
Level 3 Card Acceptance Automation
CLARUS Merchant Services has worked with our processor to create automated Level 3 card acceptance, eliminating the extra data entry requirement.
To you, the benefit and what this means:
- Removing the need for you to spend time collection extra data from your customers.
- Removing the need for you to purchase and use additional hardware, software, or gateways.
- And most importantly, automated savings.
Simply put, this equates to a rate reduction and lowering your business expense without changing how you accept payments today.
LEVEL 3 TRANSACTIONS
LEVEL 3 VOLUME
MEMBER AUTOMATEED MONTHLY SAVINGS
Download a PDF version of this case study.
Ready to get started with Clarus?